Yum! Kaylynn’s Holiday Baking Contest

Here are the winners!

Kaylynn Waldron, Dedicated Writer

On Monday, December 9th, the Westlake Observer held our second annual holiday baking contest.   There were eleven entries and all of the treats were delicious!

Thank you to all who entered! 

Made by: Stephanie Sutton, Staff

Treat: Caramel & Peanut Butter Fudge & Candied Almonds

This was an amazing treat with an amazing peanut-buttery flavor plus chewy caramels and salty sweet almonds – all the different flavors and the representation of a “gift package” made this a top entry!

Made by: Isabella Galloway

Treat: Cinnamon Apple Cake

This cake was decorated very well with red frosting poinsettias and was delicious with cinnamon taste and pieces of apple and amazingness!  Sugar and spice and everything nice – a one of a kind entry!

Made by: Ava Ford

Treat: Peppermint Cupcakes

These rich chocolate cupcakes had delicious sweet frosting and cute candy canes on top – great for individual treats!

Made by: Chloe Whiteside

Treat: Peppermint Brownie

These delicious brownies were chocolatey with peppermint crumbles on top and were packaged in festive red and white box with a white ribbon – an inviting presentation.

Made by: Justine Jimenez, Staff

Treat: Candy Cane Sugar Cookies

These yummy cookies were holiday cute and fun to eat because you could untwist the candy cane – these were one of the judge’s absolute favorite.

Made by: Annelies Smits

Treat: Festive Snickerdoodles

These snickerdoodle cookies were just right tasty and topped with festive sprinkles – a familiar cookie with unique holiday flair.

Made by: Daniel Donehoo

Treat: Chocolate Brownie with Christmas Bark

This treat looked and tasted very professional with the cute shape of the treat and the melt-in-your-mouth peppermint bark stuck inside/on top.  A chocolate peppermint party.

AND NOW, FINALLY…here are the winners of the contest!

Festive flavor: The winner of the festive flavor category was Maizy Freestone with an average of 7.83 out of ten! Her peppermint brownies were delicious and looked like they had come right out of a winter storm with the cute white frosting and peppermint pieces on top! Her treat was amazing and many of us enjoyed one bite after the next!

Holiday Spirit: The winner of the holiday spirit category was Mr. Windham with a point average of 7.6 out of 10! His happy, holiday cocoa cookies were gooey and grand! Very creative with the candy canes and fun to enjoy! 

Best Decoration: The winner of the best decoration was the duo of Kiana Wageman and Brodie Ratzlaff with a point average of 9.3 out of 10! Your cake was a festive checkered mix of red and green and was fun to cut into and see the checkerboard (and plus a lot of hard work)!  We also enjoyed the candy cane crumble on top of the delicious frosting.

Top Point Scorer: 

And last, but definitely not least, the student with the highest point score overall was Gabriella Waldron with a score of 140 points out of the highest possible score 180! Gabriella is my sister so I wanted to ensure everyone that she won this category because of her treat and there was no bias. All of the judges agreed that her treat was among the best!  Her adorable cake pop tree on a cookie tree skirt was creative! It was festive and fun and we could all tell that you put a lot of hard work into it!

Thank you to everyone who participated and engaged in our fun competition.  It was very close, all the treats were delicious and hard to decide these final winners!

A LITTLE BIT ABOUT THE JUDGES & THE JUDGING

The judges were Mrs. Cianfrance, Bailey Ferguson, Preston Canncanon, Isaac Kaup, Liam Brunet, and Kaylynn Waldron Thank you to all of the judges. 

The chart below shows how many points each judge gave out total.  As you can see, Preston was our Grinch of the event, awarding less than half of the possible points available. On the other hand, Mrs. Cianfrance was like Santa, giving out high scores to everyone and spreading Christmas cheer! 

Judges Points given out
Mrs. Cianfrance 241 points
Isaac Kaup 233 points
Liam Brunet 228 points
Bailey Ferguson 207 points
Kaylynn Waldron 170 points
Preston Canncanon 151 points

Happy Holidays everyone and thanks again!