Student Government Voting

Courtesy of Sheila Kaehny

Shivani Pujari, Editor in Chief

Amid the coronavirus pandemic, millions of Americans will be casting their vote for president, either by in-person or mail-in voting. Controversies surround the voting processes this year: mail-in voting is subject to fraud and in-person voting increases the risk of a coronavirus outbreak.

Recently, the students of Westlake were able to vote for the president, vice president, secretary, treasurer, and core representative of Student Government.

Although voting for the members of Student Government only applies to Westlake, the importance of voting and the mindset used to decide upon which candidate you want to choose are both reflected in the real world. That’s why, even though we are electing the representatives of our school, it is still important to vote.

Everyone’s process of voting is different because our beliefs are different. For instance, I prefer the process of elimination: I first look over the candidate’s campaign and ask myself ‘What will this person do for the school, and how will it benefit us?’ I always make sure to look for specific examples instead of broad statements. When I find candidates who use vague language or say they will accomplish goals without being specific about what their goals are in the first place, I rule them out.

Next, I look at the candidate’s objectives, and how practical they are. Does this idea seem doable, or is it unrealistic? By now, I have usually narrowed down my options to one person, but if I still have a few more options, I examine smaller details that I think would deem them a qualifiable candidate, like experience.

Voting is an opportunity for all of us that we must value.  We must use our votes wisely!