The Official Student News Site of Westlake Middle School

Family Game Night

When it comes to family game nights, there are always opportunities to play, but more importantly to connect. I don’t know about you but any time we play a game night there is always some competitiveness that ends up showing. Whether it’s your parents or siblings, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, whoever it is, no one can hide it. I remember ever since I was little, playing games was always one of my highlights. Siblings vs parents, siblings against each other, adults versus kids…there was always some sort of board game or card game going on. The reason why playing games with my family is one of my highlights is not only because it is so fun but also because we always have time to connect and just talk to one another. Talk about our days, what we did, what the future brings. Family game night is just another way to get to know each other. See your parents or siblings in another light. 

You don’t always have to do family game night when you are sitting down at a table with your whole family, you could do it when you are in the car on a long road trip. Sometimes you may not have time to play games with your family so maybe in the car is your only option. Some games you could play vary from, never have I ever, would you rather, to taboo, and cards. 

Some good games that you can play with your family are Monopoly, a real-estate board game for two to eight players, in which the player’s goal is to remain financially solvent while forcing opponents into bankruptcy by buying and developing pieces of property. Although that is quite a long game, there is scrabble which is the ultimate crossword game in which every letter counts. Grab your friends and family and take turns forming words on the board. After playing your turn, count the value of all the letters in every new word that you formed.

Then there’s Catan where players take on the roles of settlers, each attempting to build and develop holdings while trading and acquiring resources.

The game Clue is also a fun family game one and it is a murder mystery game for three to six players. The object of the game is to determine who murdered the game’s victim, where the crime took place, and which weapon was used.

Uno is the classic card game that’s easy to pick up and impossible to put down! Players take turns matching a card in their hand with the current card shown on top of the deck either by color or number. Special action cards deliver game-changing moments as they help you defeat your opponents.

Although I could go on and on about different games you and your family could play, there is just too much. No matter where you are, you can sit down and take a break from your long day to reconnect with your family by having some fun family game nights. Below is a list of some more fun family games you can play besides the one I listed above.

-Jenga

-Exploding Kittens

-Mexican train

-Pictionary

-Code Names

-Sequence

-Candy Land

-Trivia pursuit

-Yahtzee

-Sorry

-Cards against humanity