Budget Cuts at Westlake

May 11, 2021

Budget Cuts at Westlake

In the school year 2021 – 2022, Westlake will be experiencing budget cuts. I interviewed Mr. Price, who will be the Principal at Westlake during the 2021 – 2022 school year, about the subject.

Question: Will there be budget cuts at Westlake? If so, what is the major cause of the budget cuts at Westlake?

Mr. Price: Yes. The major cause is the decline in enrollment at Westlake that started the past couple of years and then has continued during the COVID pandemic.

Q: Who will the budget cuts affect and how?

A: First and foremost, the budget cuts will affect the students, as well as the staff and the community.

Q: What sort of long-term and short-term changes will Westlake experience because of the budget cuts?

A: In the short term, we will see numbers inside of elective classes grow. We will have to see what the long-term changes will be if the enrollment decline continues.

Q: When will the budget cuts be put into effect, if they haven’t already?

A: During the 21-22 school year.

Q: How does the number of students going to Westlake next year compare to the number of students going to Westlake last year? What about the year before?

A: We will be down about 100 total students for the 21-22 school year compared to the projected enrollment of 20-21.

Q: Is the federal government doing anything to compensate for the loss in money that school districts (like Adams 12) have been experiencing? If so, what? Like, for instance, will the per-pupil operating revenue increase (PPOR) increase, and if so, by how much?

A: My understanding is this is yet to be published at the Federal and state level.  I could be wrong as I don’t work with this information on a daily basis.  I know some help from the Federal government is coming but what this will mean at the school level is still up in the air.

Q: What is the per-pupil operating revenue of Colorado compared to other states?

A: The exact number I do not know but I know Colorado is in the bottom half compared to other states.

Q: How do the Westlake and Adams 12 budget cuts compare to other schools and districts?

A: Because the cuts are done based on enrollment, the numbers will be similar at other schools.  While other schools might have larger or smaller cuts to make, it is based on the number of students each school is down in enrollment.  Student population is the driver in school budgets.