All About Banned Book Week

Hey Westlake! Do you know about banned book week? If you don’t, read this article to find out!

All About Banned Book Week

Emma Smith, Editor

September 26th – October 2nd

It’s Banned Book Week!

This is the week that we spotlight books that have been taken off the shelves in the library because of censorship. 

On average, about 500 books are challenged each year and many are removed from the library, classroom and other public bookshelves. 

Westlake applied for a grant from the Freedom to Read Foundation and received $1000.00 to use towards our Banned Books Week celebration. We were the only school to be awarded this grant, said Mrs. Israelsen, our Digital Literacy Coach who wrote the grant request.  All other grantees were public libraries and other organizations.

HOW TO GET INVOLVED and WIN PRIZES

JOIN THE GOOSECHASE + PARTICIPATE = WIN PRIZES

We just got the Goosechase App approved by the district for use on our student chromebooks from the Google Play Store! Westlake has purchased books that have previously been challenged or banned. We will learn more about these titles in the Goosechase Scavenger hunt!  The directions for downloading the app on your chromebook, joining codes and some of the prizes are shown in this document.

WHAT IS THE GOOSECHASE?

Students will have all week to participate in the online scavenger hunt.  Tasks include answering questions and one of the clues asks you to make a Flipgrid talking about banned books.  Another asks you to geolocate at Westlake. Goosechase asks for some text answers and some picture answers.  For example, one clue asks you to take a selfie in the library with our banned books display and add that to your Goosechase.  Participants earn points on the app for completing the tasks and solving the clues.

According to Mrs. Israelsen, Goosechase allows the “Jedi Council” behind the scenes (made up of teachers) to comment on posts, give bonus points and take away points for poor performance or less than stellar posts. 

THOUGHTS ABOUT CENSORSHIP FROM OUR DIGITAL LITERACY PARTNER

Censorship and book banning is an important concept to talk about.  Are you okay if books are banned from your school? What does the first amendment mean to you? What books have been challenged and did some of those titles make a difference in your life?

Are you okay if books are banned from your school?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
All information came from Mrs. Israelsen, Digital Literacy Partner