Lockers. They can be helpful. Right?

Molly Montgomery, Dedicated Writer

Lockers. They can be helpful. Right? 

Westlake didn’t start with lockers-due to COVID policies, but now it’s time! Students will be getting lockers this week on the following days: 

• 6th grade on Tuesday, Oct. 19th
  • 7th grade on Wednesday, Oct. 20th
  • 8th grade on Thursday, Oct. 21st

On the dates listed above, students will be able to access their locker number and combination in IC portal accounts.  In IC, click on the menu option  >  MORE  >  LOCKERS.  This is where you will see the locker number, combination and location.  

Other locker guidance from Assistant Principal, Ms. Skolnick: 

• Students will not share lockers.  Please talk with your child about not sharing their combination with anyone. 
  • Once your student is issued a locker, backpacks will not be allowed in the classrooms. This means, students need to plan ahead and take the items they need for the next few classes, so they do not have to go to their locker between every class. 
  • Have your child put a copy of their schedule on the inside of the locker door. Encourage your child to use the three T’s during each locker visit:
    • Touch the subject name on the schedule.
    • Think about what you need for that class.
    • Take it with you.
  • Another reason to plan ahead while at your locker is that consequences will apply for students who are habitually tardy to class. 
  • Try organizing your locker so what’s needed next is on top.

Lockers can be helpful, right? At least that’s what I thought. Ms. Seckondorf agrees with me, she said, “A benefit of lockers is that students have a place to store their heavy backpacks, jackets, and supplies and in the art room the backpacks are not in the way or getting dirty from clay, etc.” She is implying that lockers are super helpful. 

On the other hand, Ms. Cantwell thinks differently. She says that some benefits of not having lockers are that students are on time to class, have all supplies with them, less congestion in the hallway, no “broken, stuck, or forgotten combo” issues with lockers, and more time during passing periods to actually get water and go to the bathroom.”

Not convinced? 

Mrs. Laird and Mr. Laird say no to lockers. Mr. Laird says no because in the middle of class students always ask to go to their locker, and with no lockers, they don’t ask to go to their lockers. And also it is less noisy and there is less locker slamming (by a lot). Mrs. Laird also says that they have everything they need for class on them and are already.

Student Aubrey Galylon says yes to lockers. But also she has good reasoning for why the teachers might want lockers. Aubrey Galyon said this “Without lockers, there is no chance to forget any supplies. Like if I was in math and we started a new unit, I would probably not remember any of the supplies. Also, without lockers, gross food doesn’t get forgotten in the bottom, kids will not have trouble trying to open and close the doors, and there is no big clean-up at the end of the year.” 

And Ollie Pearson disagrees and says no to lockers. He said this about not having lockers “Being able to get to classes on time without needing to stop at our lockers which might not be on the way for that person.”

Question: “From a student perspective, what are the benefits of students having lockers?”

A:” We will not have to carry 50-pound backpacks every day.” 6th grader Danicka Iturbe stated. 

A: “Our backpacks are really heavy because they have a lot of notebooks and textbooks in them. Mine has the bare minimum in it and I probably should have one more notebook in it and it hurts my back all the time.” Brenna Maurek (an 8th grader) stated. 

A: “…you don’t always have to take your stuff back and forth, especially when you bike or walk.” The 6th grader Chloe Brunet answered. 

A: “…you can leave things in your locker overnight so you don’t have to carry it everywhere.” 8th grader Marco Castano stated. 

A: Ashley Long, a 6th grader came up with multiple answers, she stated, “1. We do not have to carry so much weight on our back to, from and at school.  2. Having backpacks in the hallways is a safety hazard, you would take up too much room in the hallway and could trip or bump into others very easily.” 

Question: From a student perspective, what are the benefits of students NOT having lockers?

A:”Students not having lockers definentally makes students more on time and not lingering in the hallways. Also not having lockers makes kids always have their supplies with them. The students will have no good excuse for being late, and they will learn to appreciate having back muscles.” Evelyn Jacobs an 8th grader said. 

A: “Not having enough time to get to class, not knowing how to open a locker.” Keller Sears, a 7th grader stated. 

A:”Some kids might start being late due to locker location.” A 7th grade girl named Peyton Farquhar explained. 

A:”It gets students to classes a lot faster and gets them to class on time.” Said Sydney Burns, a 7th grader. 

A” Kiya Sanders (a 7th grader) said, “I think that maybe kids can get bullied more through lockers because they think that there is no teachers to stop them because it is in the hallways” 

Overall, teachers have been split 50/50. Most of the teachers are split because on one hand, they hate tripping over backpacks, but on the other hand, they don’t want to hear the loudness in the hall, or the excuses of being late to class because of something with their locker malfunctioned. All of these teachers have good reasons for not wanting lockers or wanting lockers. Here are some teacher responses. 

Question: From a teacher’s perspective, what are the benefits of students having lockers? 

• “Having backpacks in my orchestra classroom is frustrating because they take up so much space.  I also like that when students have lockers they learn to open combination locks at the beginning of the year.  This helps with music lockers because I don’t have to take class time to teach students how to open a combination lock,” stated Ms.Dunford (Westlake’s orchestra teacher). 
  • “Students can have a space that is their own at school.  Allows them to organize their materials as they want.” Mr.Capra, an 8th grade social studies teacher stated. 
  • Ms. Lyddon, a 6th grade teacher said,“Students are on time for class, less congestion in hallways, no “I can’t open my locker” tears.””
  • Ms.Strunk, a 7th grade social studies teacher said, “The benefits of students having lockers is that they do not have to carry everything around. Having lockers also means more practice opening lockers before high school. Without lockers, I do find myself tripping over students’ backpacks in my classroom.”

Question: From a teacher perspective, what are the benefits of students NOT having lockers? 

• The 6th-grade teacher Ms.Buffo said, “Students become late to class and have one more place to forget or lose their supplies.  Noise level in the hallways is great since there is no slamming of lockers.”
  • The 6th grade teacher Ms.Skattum stated, “Mischievous behavior has diminished.  Students being late to class has diminished.” 
  • “A benefit of not having student lockers is that no one can say they are late to class because their locker was jammed and students leave the school easily/quickly after school,” Ms.Seckendorf, the electives art teacher said. 
  • “The benefits of students not having lockers is that they will spend too much time at their lockers and be habitually late. There may also be more behavior problems since they are spending more time in the hallways,” Mr.Angelopulos, an 8th grade teacher stated. 
  • “Everything is with students so they don’t have to miss class by being at lockers which also helps eliminating tardies. I also don’t have to help students open them when they are jammed.  The hallway commotion is cut-down which is a delight to my ears.” Ms.Beiland, an 8th grade teacher said. 

Overall, there are teachers who want lockers, teachers who don’t want lockers, the student body’s opinion on lockers, and the overarching facts about how lockers could benefit but also be a downfall. All in all, there are many different opinions.