What Are Westlake’s Favorite Movies?

Alyssia Litzau, Dedicated Writer

What Are Westlake’s Favorite Movies?

What makes a good movie? What makes a good character? There are so many types of movies out there – from fantasy to horror to sci fi to Disney to Pixar. A great movie makes people want to watch the whole movie. Sometimes there’s some drama towards the end of a movie that keeps us watching. Some movies end with a cliffhanger but that doesn’t mean the movie always gets a sequel.

Here are some opinions from Westlake students and staff about movies and characters.

QUESTION 1: What is your favorite movie?

ANSWERS:

Planet of the Apes – Nathaniel Bedon, 6th grade

Titanic or Spiderman Far from Home – Kay Sherman, 7th grade

Speed Racer – Joan Magallon, 7th grade

“Secretariat is my favorite movie because I love the story and how it shows that you have to go with your gut and what you believe in.” – Brenna Maurek, 8th grade

“My favorite movie is Rocky IV, but I love the entire Rocky franchise. I grew up watching these movies with my dad and I grew to love them as I got older. I love the character Rocky and the complexity of the character. I specifically like Rocky IV because of the story as well as the connection to history and the Cold War. When I went to Philadelphia, I was able to take a picture with the Rocky statue outside of the Art Museum. It was one of the highlights of my visit to Philadelphia.” – Jake Angelopulos, 8th grade Social Studies teacher

QUESTION 2: What makes a good movie character?

ANSWERS:

“Good acting usually makes a good character.” – Nathaniel Bedon, 6th

“A strong female character is one who doesn’t need a boy to come and save her every second like in Twilight (Bella Swan). My favorite movie characters are Spiderman (Tom Holland), Neal Caffrey (Matt Bomer), and MJ ( Zendaya). ” – Kay Sherman, 7th grade

“An actor that knows and can play the role really well, a good plot also can make a character good and great.” – Joan Magallon, 7th grade

“An actor that knows and can play the role really well and a good plot can make a character good and great. Captain Jack Sparrow is one of my favorite movie characters because he is funny, witty, and smart. The actor Johnny Depp played him really well and he makes the movie a whole.” – Brenna Maurek, 8th grade

“A good movie character touches on the same ideas that make a movie good. For a movie to be good, the characters have to be relatable to the intended audience.“ Joan Magallon, 7th grade

“A good movie has to contain a story that touches the heart and emotions of the people that are watching it. The great movies also touch on the larger cultural phenomenons of the era – whether good or bad.” Jake Angelopulos, 8th grade Social Studies teacher

QUESTION 3: In your opinion, what makes a good movie?

ANSWERS:

“Good camera work and good editing plus good acting and a strong theme all make a good movie.” – Nathaniel Bedon, 6th grade

“A good movie has to have you invested in the movie. For example, in The Matrix, every second had something important happening and it makes you want to watch every single second of the movie.” – Joan Magallon, 7th grade

“People who have strong personalities and who can problem solve on their own!” – Kay Sherman, 7th grade

“A good movie has good music, good characters, and a great plot/storyline.” – Brenna Maurek, 8th grade

“My favorite movie character is Rocky Balboa because of the complexity of the character. One of my other favorite movie characters is Forrest Gump.” – Jake Angelopulos, 8th grade Social Studies teacher

Thanks for reading!